About Me

My photo
I am a wife and home schooling mother to four kiddos. It's not always easy, but I am blessed to have the opportunity to be there each step of the way as my kids grow and learn.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Changes

I love being blessed with the privilege of being responsible for my children's education. It is something I never thought I would do. I never could have imagined how rewarding and fulfilling it is. Yet life circumstances may cause us to pause our home school. At least for the time being. I don't know what lies ahead for us, but I do know that I still want to be able to home school the kids again, if possible. I have applied for admission into the nursing program at Wallace State. If accepted, it is doubtful that I would be able to get myself to school and still educate the kids, by myself, full time. My hope is that it would only have to last as long as I am in school. It is hard to make a decision to go back to school when you have four kids which have thus far been raised very carefully. Yet, as I told one of my good friends, Hank and I have always had to do everything backwards. Here's the story about that:
You know how most careful conscientious people have good steady jobs and at least their high school diploma if not a college degree when they get married? Well I was 17 years old in the summer before my senior year when I learned that Hank and I were expecting our first (of many!) child. We were happy right away, we never worried much about what we were going to do. Indeed, so far our life together has been very blessed. When I walked across that stage at graduation, my mom, brother, my husband, his family and my two month old son were there to cheer for me. We found a great place to rent that was close to our families and I started college while Hank worked full time at a steel plant. I became pregnant again and paused school. My entire college experience was a series of stops and starts due to babies that we had through the years. It took me 3.5 years to earn a 2 year associates degree.
As of late I took my longest break ever. When I found out I was pregnant with Lucy I decided I would never go back to school. That I would home school the kids. Which I have been doing for the past 3 years. Now we have 4 children, Hank drives an hour to work everyday and an hour back. He often works late and 6 days a week. He never complains and he is a wonderful provider. It has occurred to me that I have it in my power to ease some of the pressure off of Hank. The way that came to mind is something that I have always wanted to do.
When I was a little girl I always wanted to work as a nurse helping people. I used to always say "When I grow up I am going to be a nurse and an author." That childhood passion was reignited when my Dad was sick and near death a year and half ago. In our grief and worry some of Dad's nurses were very understanding and compassionate. Others were cold and even hurtful. Careless. I knew that I would want to be the type of nurse who could comfort hurt families. Being a nurse is not just about taking care of a patient, but the patient's family as well.
In the end, if this is not what God wants for us, then my prayer is that He will make it clear and block all my attempts to get into school. If it is God's will I pray that He would bless our efforts at every turn. If you read this then keep our family in your prayers as we possibly make a transition.

*Coming next* Worries,hopes, and ideas about a public education.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for ya'll and clear direction!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will make such a wonderful, compassionate nurse! I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete