About Me

My photo
I am a wife and home schooling mother to four kiddos. It's not always easy, but I am blessed to have the opportunity to be there each step of the way as my kids grow and learn.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Move! Move! Move!

Or at least that's what I feel like I sound like sometimes. "C'mon kids! Get UP! GET DRESSED! EAT BREAKFAST! 15 more minutes to school!" (which inevitably always becomes 45 minutes) I see my sister in law with her kids. She is possibly the world's nicest most patient mommy. Her kids adore her. She always has a smile in her pocket that the kids can borrow. No. Really. When we line our precious children in line together to take their picture, you can guarantee that at least 2 of mine will stubbornly refuse to smile. Usually my patience is running on low so my response to that is "SMILE so we can take this picture. DO IT!" Hey, nothing makes a person want to smile like someone barking "SMILE RIGHT NOW OR I'LL PUNISH YOU!!!" in your face. (OKay, I'm not that bad, but you get the point) My sister in law, on the other hand, says sweetly "Oh, you don't have a smile. Hey, that's okay, I've got one in my pocket you can borrow." At this point she reaches into her pocket, digs around a bit, and sure enough she comes up with one and graciously allows my kids to borrow it. Now why didn't I think of that? I suppose her method takes time...when most of the time I feel like I have no time.
There is something to be learned here, I feel it. While I know that it isn't always possible or wise to be perfectly diplomatic with our kids, I do think the Lord would have us practice patience in this way. How many times has he been patient with me? How many times have I needed to be gently led away from some stubborn behavior? I think that in the Bible Jesus was VERY patient when explaining things to the masses of people that gathered around him. I don't remember reading about Him rolling his eyes, smacking someone in the head and saying "DO IT BECAUSE I SAID SO! Sheesh!" Am I ever thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment