About Me

My photo
I am a wife and home schooling mother to four kiddos. It's not always easy, but I am blessed to have the opportunity to be there each step of the way as my kids grow and learn.

Friday, February 12, 2010

So the Teacher Becomes the Student

It is official. I have lost my senses completely. I mean, it is obvious! Here I am the mother of four kids, two of which are "school" age, and I start going to school again myself! I (Hank and I, really) decided that I should shoot for nursing school. Maybe if I get through it alive and still relatively sane, then I could work sometime and afford Hank more career or education options.

Yes going to school while being the home schooling mother of four is tough. Yet already I have noticed some benefits. As I look through a microscope at different types of skin cells and learn the names of all the little tiny organelles, I start thinking of ways I could share this with my own kids. I am starting to get excited about learning myself! This joy is contagious. The kids are fascinated by the fact that their teacher and mother is still learning too! They love hearing about how I dissected a pig or the tiny wonders that I observe through a microscope. Did you know that the earth is 2/3 water and so are we (and most other organisms too?) I was amazed by that. So are my kids.
Illuminated Globe
When we find joy in discovery and learning ourselves, we pass it on to our children. Is there a better lesson or gift that we can give them?

1 comment:

  1. I'm really proud of you and I know the crazy time will fly by. Just in time for us to really crank down on 4th or 5th grade math and science, I'm counting on your help with science especially!! hang in there, pick your battles and keep practicing the "no, I'm too busy" response to needy people!!! love you

    ReplyDelete