About Me

My photo
I am a wife and home schooling mother to four kiddos. It's not always easy, but I am blessed to have the opportunity to be there each step of the way as my kids grow and learn.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning

I know that 2AM is not considered a reasonable time to go to bed. It is far far far to late, especially for a full time, and I mean FULL time mama. My kids get up at dawn and thus, so do I. So it is as I sit here typing, half out of my mind with sleepiness that I think of other mothers who have come before me.
To begin with there is my mother in law. She is so very dear to me. I value her advice and take great comfort when she tells me she went through the same things that I go through now. When those inevitable all-nighters come around, I remember that Carolyn told me that she too used to stay up late to get things done. She tells me how she used to cherish those quiet moments late at night when her baby would wake her for a feeding. At first the thought of cherishing a late night feeding was bewildering to me. I never relished the thought of rousing myself out of a deep peaceful sleep. I love to sleep! Yet Carolyn said something that made me forever appreciate those late night feedings. She said she loved that quiet alone time with the baby. When one has four kids in the house, one doesn't get much time to enjoy just the baby. Babyhood is so short and so precious, I always find myself wishing I could hold on to it just a little longer. So at the wonderful advice of my mother-in-law I began to try to savor those moments, much to my benefit. She was right. That time at night can be magical. When all is quiet and still and I can just hold my baby close to me for that moment, just him and me, I know that I am strengthening our bond and making memories that will stay with me for the rest of my life.
So yes staying up late with babies and getting up early for the kids can be wearing, but we have to remember that it is just for a season. A very short season. Soon there will be no babies crying for me at night, nor will there be little children
coming to bed in the middle of the night in search of comfort from some unseen fear. All to soon the day will come when they can face their fears without me. Soon after that day will come the day that they are grown and on their own. Soon after that will be the day that I will miss the nights that they depended on me to protect them and keep them safe. I will miss them crawling in my bed close to my body. I will say that those precious moments passed by all to soon.
Instead of lamenting the waking habits of children, take some advice from my lovely mother in law and as well as my mother. Enjoy these moments while they last.

5 comments:

  1. Whenever I wonder if ther world is totally nuts, I visit your blog site - and sigh a relief- and know there is hope...hugs and kisses, sj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, SJ. I really appreciate your comment. It makes me breathe a sigh of relief to know that I am not the only one out there that feels that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I almost cried. no sarcasm here. I'm very serious. You have a way with words. I'm glad you're writing this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks katherine, a great reminder to me right now! LOVE YA!
    NAomi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Naomi, I know you are spending some time awake at night too lately! Thanks for reading, it means a lot to me. Hey, I got the title of this post from that song you taught me...it gets stuck in my head everytime I'm up late at night.

    ReplyDelete