About Me

My photo
I am a wife and home schooling mother to four kiddos. It's not always easy, but I am blessed to have the opportunity to be there each step of the way as my kids grow and learn.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Therapeutic Pets

When it comes to small soft furry playful animals, I am a total sucker. When I see a little kitten or puppy my heart melts and I have an extraordinary time pulling myself away. Hank knows what a softie I am and seems a bit anxious whenever someone is telling me they are getting rid of puppies or kittens. But you know what? I think pets can be very very good for us humans in so many ways.

Take for example my oldest child, Lane. Most people who know him knows that he is an easily stressed kid. Lord help me, I'm not sure if it is because of some fault on our part or if it somehow comes naturally. He seems to spend more time moody and unhappy than in any other mood. It is a rare treat to see him geniunely happy and even smile. Yet, having a furry friend in our home seems to help him so much. I see more joy and more smiles on his face. He seems more relaxed. He truly enjoys the responsibilty of being the guardian of an animal.

So I brought home two kittens about a week ago. Now Lane is more relaxed than usual and finds more to be happy about. I guess I see his point. Our new kitties, Snowball and Cookie, never fight with him, or criticize him. It is such a safe relationship for him. There is no guessing or worrying what the cats might be thinking. And you know, somehow it makes Lane see me in a different light when he sees me holding and petting the cats. The other day I was sitting on the floor talking quietly and petting Cookie. Lane quietly came and sat next to me and begin sweetly rubbing my back. Very gentle. Very shy. He said "Mama, did you love cats when you were a little girl?" I told him I did. "And...you still love cats now?" he asked somewhat shyly. I nodded. He smiled, as if this made him feel closer to me. Which made me glad. Lane is one of those kids that has trouble showing tenderness toward other people. So for him to show me affection like that was huge. I have the kittens to thank for it.

Of course the other kids love the kitties too. We are having so much fun getting to know them. I pray that Snowball and Cookie will have long happy lives in our home.

3 comments: